This course teaches students how to create and edit digital images. Students will learn the purpose of the various tools in the toolbox, work with layers and blending modes to create depth and transparency, how to retouch photos, select and recolor areas of an image, as well as create interesting type. Students will gain knowledge of image size, pixel depth and resolution while focusing on selection techniques with various selection and drawing tools. Difference between raster and vector imaging is explained in detail, as well as use of filters, channels and paths. Students have their own workstations.
Organize a workspace, manipulate an image, design a raster image, design a vector image, retouch an image, and develop a professional attitude.
Course learning outcomes / competencies
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Navigate Photoshop’s tools and palettes.
- Create and modify natural media brushes.
- Paint and edit using brushes, gradients and drawing tools.
- Identify use of various selection tools.
- Create, delete, re-order, copy and paste layers.
- Recognize use of layer blend modes.
- Demonstrate knowledge of image size and canvas size.
- Create selections and save as channels.
- Use the pen, vector tools, and path panel.
- Employ color adjustment tools for photo retouching.
- Distinguish between vector and raster images.
- Use the type tools.